The great thing about the thoughts of a courtesan, is that no one can say that her stance is because of “prudishness”. I also like this because I believe pornography, like smoking or drinking or drugs, is harmful and I want my kids to understand that it’s good for everyone to stay away from it, not just people who want to go on a mission or get married in the temple. This excerpt is from The Tim Ferris show episode #258 with Alice Little, America’s highest paid legal sex worker.
Context on Alice and her thoughts from elsewhere in this podcast:
- She chose to be a legal sex worker after trying many different jobs— including a jockey. (She’s 4’8”).
- She says she finds her job to be very meaningful. She feels that she is providing a valuable service by enhancing people’s quality of life.
- Most of her clients desire a date experience, with dinner and a social activity.
- She believes sex is a journey of connecting with a person on an honest, deep and meaningful level and coming to appreciate and understand them.
- Her hobby is collecting antique books.
BTW, I am only allowed to share up to 500 words, so I'm hitting the most important points, thus the use of ellipses. So without further ado, here is an excerpt of the conversation between Alice Little and Tim Ferriss:
Alice Little: “... I think that porn is ruining America. It’s ruining relationships. And it’s ruining intimacy. What porn does is it creates this almost addictive compulsion where you’re scrolling through, you’re watching the porn...First, rather than investing his time and energy in a genuine connection with a real human being, he’s watching the Broadway equivalent of a sex act that is being overdramatized for his entertainment...everything that women do in porn is the exact opposite of what happens in real life. Secondly, it’s causing men to cause physical harm to themselves. They’re masturbating so roughly that, often times, they’ll lose sensitivity. And it makes it difficult for them to orgasm and climax with their partner...The third thing that it does is it perpetuates this culture where we look at sex and we look at women as objects...they just go to some website, they scroll through, and they click on the first thing that looks interesting without a second thought as to what the impact is on the lives of the women and what kind of societal norm that perpetuates. If we manage to remove porn from our society, I think we would see men spending more time developing genuine connections with other women. They would be going out more. They would be exploring those dynamics and exploring those things rather than that self-gratifying behavior, which is also physically damaging."
Ok, so to recap Alice’s reasons why porn is bad:
- Porn makes you less likely to go out and have a real relationship
- Is physically damaging
- Reduces sexual function
- Is nothing like sex in real life
- Teaches you things about sex that aren’t true
- Ruins your sex life
- Ruins relationships
- Makes sex less exciting
- Hurts women by exploiting them and perpetuating objectification
Sounds like a pretty good set of reasons for your kid to stay away from porn, even for the average hormonal teenager.
Thanks Alice and Tim!!!
Quoted from the Tim Ferris Show transcript: https://tim.blog/2018/02/03/the-tim-ferriss-show-transcripts-alice-little/