Monday, October 8, 2012

Pregnancy Update: Week 6

Those of you who are friends with me on Facebook have already heard that Malamute and I are expecting Bundle of Joy #2 in late May. Since this is my first completely mostly raw and mostly vegan pregnancy, I have decided to open up about it and do some periodic updates on this blog.

So, here we are at week 6-ish. I had a positive test exactly a week ago. The thing that has been most difficult is the lack of appetite I have had ever since I had my positive test. Let me back up a bit.

When I was pregnant with Duckling three years ago, I had terrible morning sickness. I was nauseated by everything except the thought of junk food which wasn't good for me and we couldn't afford anyway. I ate hardly anything during my first three months of pregnancy (and much of what I did eat came back up) and lost 15 lbs. in about six weeks. In the middle of that last pregnancy, my husband and I changed our diet and now eat mostly raw and mostly vegan. I was feeling great before the positive test but since finding out that I'm actually pregnant, I seem to be having some post-traumatic stress disorder about eating. I'm not actually feeling nauseated, it's more that I've lost my appetite. Every time I even think about food, I remember how sick I was three years ago, and every time I eat something, I'm afraid it will make me sick, even though I'm not actually feeling nauseated. I went hungry as a kid because my parents couldn't afford food sometimes, so I have been wondering if this is compounding the problem. On top of being pregnant, I am still nursing Duckling some, though he has started to back off more, so I have even greater needs for food.

The truth is that it's been difficult to eat enough food (I know, some people's problems...), though I have been forcing myself to eat. I've been having extra green smoothies for more folate. To be honest, Malamute and I had a bit of a tiff today because hearing me say that I don't want to eat anything right now scares him to death because we're trying to prevent any more birth defects. (Fortunately, the neural  tube seals up in the third week after conception, so I was following my normal, ultra-high folate diet in blissful ignorance in the previous weeks.)

I am starting to show a little bit. (Yes, I know showing a little for me means that I still look tiny to you all.) My breasts don't hurt as much this time around either, so that's been nice.

2 comments:

  1. Just take it a bite at a time! Niblets here and there add up and maybe doing some of that "mindless munching" while your brain is distracted elsewhere, like watching tv (that other people usually avoid!) may help?

    The breast pain for me was never as bad in subsequent pregnancies as it was the first. That was horrid. Good luck and we will keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I always see you commenting at what is late at night here, and then I think, "Gosh, Michelle has sure started staying up late." And then I remember that your time zone is like 2 or 3 hours behind mine... I sure hope you guys are doing OK as the days get longer and longer up there. =)

    ReplyDelete