Friday, August 10, 2012

Why I Am Happy That I Am Not Married To Edward Cullen: A Tribute To The Man In My Life

Remember a few years ago when Twilight first came out and the buzz phrase was "Edward Cullen why aren't you real?" As Malamute and I are approaching our fifth anniversary, I am taking a pause to consider this. And the conclusion I have come to is that I am very glad not be married to Edward Cullen for the following reasons:

  • Saves money on car repairs- I am, of course, referring to the time Eclipse when Bella wants to go visit her werewolf friend Jacob and Edward pulls the spark plugs out of her truck to "protect" her. (Last I checked, this sort of controlling behavior was considered a warning sign of an abusive relationship...) When Malamute and I have a difference of opinion (and we have had some BIG differences of opinion), we talk things out, often on our daily walk or hike. (We've found that Mt. Timpanogos is a great place for this, and it's cheaper than marriage counseling for us.) Sometimes, we resolve things right then and there, other issues have taken years and several talks for us to work out, but we always keep talking. I really appreciate that he doesn't pull something out of the car every time we have a disagreement. If he did, we would be bankrupt just from car repair bills.
  • Supports me in becoming something more than I am- It's important to have someone who loves you for who you are at the present. I'm very lucky to have a guy who has loved me through some very dark times. But I also appreciate that he wants me to become more than I am right now. Edward never seems to have a good reason for not wanting Bella to become a vampire, despite the fact that it would make sense if he truly wants to be with her forever. In fact Edward's resistance to Bella becoming something more than a damsel in distress seems like a cheap plot device used to artificially draw out a conflict over four very long books.
  • Doesn't leave when the going gets tough- OK, so Edward loves Bella undyingly (no pun intended), but in New Moon he fears for her safety if she, as a mortal, continues to hang around him and his family of vampires. So rather than have Bella join them by becoming a vampire, he feels that the best option is to abandon her. It doesn't make sense to me and I'm glad that my man has always stuck by me and worked with me to overcome our problems.
  • More interesting conversations- Most of Edward and Bella's interactions seem to revolve around three subjects: 1) Bella wanting to become a vampire, 2) Edward wanting her to stay a mortal, and 3) the pros and cons of hanging out with werewolves. I don't think I could spend eternity with someone who can only cover three subjects in a limited fashion, even if he is rich and looks like a male model. It would get very boring, very fast.
My life lacks fancy clothes, lots of money, and glamorous cars. My husband doesn't sparkle and he doesn't like or dress like a male model (unless you count those guys in the REI catalogues). But none of that really means much to me unless I have someone I can count on and have fun with.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so true! I read all the books waiting for Bella to figure out that Edward was controlling. I wanted her to figure out that she could live without him. That never happened, and I'm severely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete