Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Hunger Games

Last week Malamute and I took Duckling and went to a double feature at the local drive-in. We saw Mirror Mirror (pretty good) and The Hunger Games (WOW!). We were so impressed that we started reading the book. I'm generally quite skeptical of hugely popular books, but this one seemed to have a fascinating premise and to the potential to be tale about the triumph of the human spirit, so I had significantly more hope than I did when I picked up Twilight. (But that's another post for another day.)

The Hunger Games has been a little hard for me to read. There are a lot of things that hit very close to home for me. The part where eleven year old Katniss and her family are starving and she has nothing to give them until Peeta throws her some bread brought back a lot of feelings I have kept hidden away for years.

One of the interesting things Malamute and I have been noting is how much food there is outside the fence. There are berries and greens and animals to hunt. But most people stay inside the fence because they think they can't get any food out there or that it's too dangerous. Remember in the beginning how Gale says that they could just leave and go off in the woods and live off the land? Katniss says it's impossible. But it's really her own thinking that is keeping her inside District 12. All of the problems she brings up to Gale could be overcome.

Another interesting thing I wonder about is how things would change if all the people of Panem could provide their own food for themselves by homesteading. If they could have their own food, the Capitol would lose it's big weapon. But the people of Panem are convinced that they can't provide for themselves without the Capitol and the price to pay is the Hunger Games.

It makes you think, doesn't it? But then that's why everyone is reading this book in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. LOVED those books! I read two-and-a-half of them in one night. The only reason I didn't finish the trilogy that night was that it was time to go to work!

    ReplyDelete