Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter Treats

Every year since we got married Malamute and I have been saying, "Next year when we move out, we'll do something really fun for Christmas/ Easter/ Anniversary/ Birthdays..." Well, this year I decided to make Easter fun anyway, and a big part of that was making delicious, healthier Easter treats. If I hadn't found Chocolate Covered Katie, none of this would have been possible.

The night before Easter, I made a carrot cake. Carrot cake is one of those desserts that has always intimidated me because my previous attempts never turned out, but CCK's Bugs Bunny Carrot Cake was very easy and delicious. I didn't bother with frosting because it was late by the time I got around to making it.

In the morning I made CCK's Chocolate Chip Blondies (using cacao nibs instead of chocolate chips because that was what I had on hand. An OK substitute, but not a great one.) I also made her Copycat Reese's Eggs, substituting almond butter for peanut butter for Malamute. Mine didn't look as pretty, but they did taste sooooo good! I have a pretty low tolerance for caffeine though, so I was feeling pretty buzzed from all this chocolate. I'm back to carob for desserts now.

The one thing I did make that ended up cute were the coconut macaroon bunnies.

I used CCK's Raw Macaroons recipe (subbing unrefined coconut oil for coconut butter and adding in coconut). I also soaked the dates overnight so that they blended up easily in the Blendtec without any added water. Instead of just rolling the macaroons into little balls, I rolled a bigger ball for the bunny body and then put a smaller one on top for the head and added pecan pieces for the ears and cacao nibs for the eyes. (Yes, I ate the ears first on these bunnies!) So easy. And you get fiber from the coconut, potassium from the dates and lauric acid from the coconut oil. The only thing I would do differently is to use the shredded coconut instead of flaked, but these bunnies kind of just happened that morning and I didn't do a lot of planning for them.

2 comments: