Monday, March 5, 2012

Perspectives on Worrying

Last night, Malamute was reading to me from Dale Carnegie's How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. One of the short accounts in the book came from a man who had felt extremely burdened at one point in his life and wrote down all of his worries. He put the list away and forgot about it until he was moving his things to a new office a year later. When he took out the list, he found that every one of his worries had either solved itself through his work and the grace of God or hadn't come to pass at all.

I used to worry about a lot of things in high school. I worried about what people thought of me, whether the utilities would get turned on again when my parents caught up on their bill, whether I would pass an audition into a certain group, etc. When I was in college I worried about having enough money, about whether my parents would get me their tax information so I could apply for financial aid, how I would do in my classes, what my professors thought of me, and the list goes on and on. And you know what? All of those problems either solved themselves through my work and the grace of God or didn't come to pass at all. But I wasted a lot of time and effort making myself miserable.

So what if the things I've been worrying about lately are the same way? What if I'm just wasting time and effort making myself miserable? History shows that that is probably the case.

Today I am thankful for books on success and positive thinking.

2 comments: