Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My Favorite Things (a.k.a "What Do You People Eat?")

Sorry, those of you who were hoping this would be something like Oprah's Favorite Things. There's no free stuff. Mostly because the things I'm going to list here are easily obtained at your local health food store. Some of our favorite treats:

Artistic Malamute
  • Homemade sourdough bread, especially part rye flour loaves and especially loaves that have fermented in a summertime garage.
  • Raw chocolate mousse
  • Chocolate Hazelnut Coconut Bliss. This is the only brand of ice cream we eat. It is that good. And the ingredients are wholesome too- a rare combination.
  • Raw chocolate wafers. Soak a bunch of fruit and nuts overnight, blend it up with some honey or agave and chocolate powder and dehydrate for several hours.
  • Braeburn apples
  • Bosc pears
  • Chickpeas and Broccoli Over Rice (Malamute calls it "Chick Rice"). Soaked and cooked chickpeas tossed with sauteed onions and garlic, steamed broccoli and toasted almonds and served over rice, seasoned with Himalayan salt, lemon juice and first cold-press olive oil. I think Malamute would eat this every day if I made it.
  • Roasted veggies with quinoa and spices. Slice up some beets, sweet potatoes, onions, and carrots, coat with with a small amount of olive oil, Himalayan salt, cinnamon, cumin, and chili powder and shove it all in the oven to roast for a while. About halfway through, I shove in some soaked quinoa- the more the better as far as Malamute is concerned.
  • Young Thai Coconuts.
  • Cherry Chia Seed GT's Synergy Kombucha.  Kombucha is a delightful fermented (non-alcoholic) drink that has probiotics, B vitamins, and electrolytes. Malamute LOVES the chia seeds.
  • "Old School PB & J" Pro Bars.
  • Homemade raw red cabbage sauerkraut. A probiotic food, not the nasty vinegar stuff you find in the grocery store.
  • Medjool dates
  • Pistachios
  • Organic peaches
Determined Duckling
  • See above. He and Daddy are pretty much two peas in a pod. Except for things like "Chick Rice" and roasted veggies and quinoa, which he doesn't have enough teeth for, though he makes many noble attempts. Homemade raw red cabbage sauerkraut used to be Duckling's favorite food, and then I started making Raw Chocolate Mousse. That is now is his favorite food.
  • Chia seed and mango GT's Synergy Kombucha. These are the only ones that Duckling likes, but they are also the mildest without much fizz.
  • Mommy milk.
  • Pro Bars of any flavor.
  • Avocados and bananas in any shape or form.
  • Papaya
Practical Rabbit
  • KALE CHIPS. I love kale chips. I didn't get around to making kale chips over the weekend and I started getting so desperate, I told Malamute I might go hold up a health foods store just to get a little, tiny package.  I use sunflower seeds instead of nutritional yeast in mine and I chop up the kale into little pieces instead of doing big, whole leaves. One day, my MIL was watching a cooking show and the host started making kale chips in the oven on lowest heat, so I guess they're fashionable now. Be sophisticated like me and eat kale chips.
  • Chunks of energy- the soy free, dairy free ones. Carob banana and cacao goji berry are my favorites.
  • Apple cinnamon Crunch Pro Bars
  • Organic peaches
  • Organic blueberries
  • Dark Chocolate Black Bean Brownies. The recipe is coming soon. Really, I promise this time.
  • Chocolate Mint Galactica Coconut Bliss
  • GT's Synergy Kombucha in any of the Botanic flavors
  • Whole Foods trail mixes. These are my guilty pleasure and I don't do them very often because they contain evaporated cane sugar, organic chocolate chips, and canola oil. But they are tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment