Friday, January 27, 2012

Vegan Recipes and Where to Find Them

I've often found it difficult to figure out what to make for meals and snacks over the years as our diet has changed. Where do you go to find recipes? Especially ones that don't contain tofu or buckets of raw nuts as the main ingredient? Most vegans and raw foodists basically eat a standard American diet but substitute soy or nuts for meat and cheese. I believe neither of these to be the best option. So, for any of you out there who might be interested in having a few vegan meals and don't know where to go, here are my treasure hunting secrets:

Buy one (or two) of Robyn Openshaw's cookbooks- This is seriously one of the best investments I have made in my cooking. They are about $15 each and well worth it. She has recipes for green smoothies, delicious salads, breakfast foods, snacks, lunches, dinners, and desserts and they are very good. I'm going to be making Chocolate Beet Cake cupcakes for Duckling's birthday and her black bean brownies are one of my all time favorite desserts. Even my dad, the brownie connoisseur, loves them.

Blogs- Start following some healthy eating blogs. Robyn Openshaw shares some recipes on her blog. I have found a couple of other really great blogs on whole foods vegan eating too. Whole Foods Vegan Momma has some really good recipes. I don't entirely agree with the no oil and fats thing from Dr. John McDougall, but certainly cutting back is good and it doesn't hurt to have a few low-fat recipes around. (She is Mormon too! So if you are like me and feel like you are the only person in the entire church who doesn't get into Jell-o, know you are not alone!) Eating Bird Food is a fantastic blog with delightful recipes. I have already tried her no-bake cookies and the Crock Pot Black Bean Soup (which we LOVED).

Mothering.com- I am not a huge Mothering.com fan. Despite the fact that I am a homebirthing, extended breastfeeding, whole foods eating, herb using mom, and agree with a number of other things they advocate, I have a hard time with some of the articles (why does everything, including getting your belly button pierced have to be a "rite of passage"?) and especially the politics. I'm more Libertarian than Democrat, and I'm not dogmatically into Dr. Sears, so there's a bit of a divide there. All of that could be another post, but I digress. I have found a number of wonderful recipes from Mothering.com- especially cookies and soups and a whole bunch of other things I still want to try out. I highly recommend checking them out. Also, if you are looking for gluten free and healthier meat or dairy dishes, they have recipes for those too. =)

Google- This is a long shot, but sometimes, it has worked and I have found exactly what I need, as was the case of asparagus and chickpeas over rice and raw chocolate birthday cake (which I am going to be making for my birthday.)

4 comments:

  1. I like the Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook and anything by Dreena Burton. Robin Robertson also has some good stuff, like Vegan Planet. Nourishing Traditions is a good resource for salads and soaked beans and grains. Just ignore all the dairy and meat recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I found your blog over at WholeFoodsVeganMomma and I'm trying to transition over into the vegan world! :) I just eliminated meat a week ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your transition! And thanks for reading my blog. =) I'll come over and check yours out.

    ReplyDelete