Wednesday, January 25, 2012

No Worry Wednesday: Protein

I don't worry about getting enough protein. I know we've all been conditioned to think that the only place we can get protein are from meat and dairy products, but there are lots of plant foods that have protein- and I'm not talking about tofu; I never eat tofu or soy milk. Besides nuts and legumes, greens and grains have lots of protein too. Most vegetables are 9-10% protein, but some, like broccoli and spinach are 40%. Take a look at a box of oats or a bag of whole wheat flour next time you're at the grocery store and you'll find that whole grains have quite a bit of protein. The other bonus to eat plant sources of protein is that it's easier for your body to digest and assimilate the plant protein than animal protein.

In fact there have been a few vegetarian and vegan bodybuilders. Stephen Arlin is a vegan raw-foodist and a bodybuilder. Four-time Mr. Universe Bill Pearl (famous for tearing license plates in half) is a lacto-ovo vegetarian (meaning he eats eggs and dairy but not meat).

I actually feel better than ever since going mostly vegan. I haven't had issues with hypoglycemia for years. Malamute and I eat lots of protein rich plant foods, so I don't worry about our protein levels.

2 comments:

  1. My goal at one point was to be vegan and I while I was doing that I never felt better in my life and now I have been eating meats and processed foods and not feeling too great. Hope you can keep it up!
    Tracie
    crackyouwhip.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've actually been mostly vegan for about two and a half years! It wasn't overnight either. I think it's easier to focus on putting more plant foods in your diet rather than taking out meat, dairy and processed foods. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete