Thursday, December 29, 2011

ATTENTION WORLD: I AM BROKE AND LIVING IN MY IN-LAWS' BASEMENT

"A territory is a closed feedback loop. Our role is to put in effort and love; the territory absorbs this and gives it back to us in the form of well-being."-Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

When I go to Barnes and Noble on a date with my husband, the books I pick up to read for fun are natural parenting books. I love to "window shop" online for cloth diapers. And I love making naturally sweetened cookies of all kinds. An idea that really excites me is taking some classes on herbal medicine. That's how I knew that natural family living is my territory. So here I am.

I've always wanted to start a blog, but resisted for a long time for a number of reasons: 1) I didn't think there was anything in my life that anyone would care enough to read about. 2) I felt like I didn't have anything of worth to share with the world since so many things in my life are so far from perfect, specifically that 3) my husband and I are broke and living in his parents' basement.

I've decided that hanging my head in shame about our living situation has only made me more unhappy and that I want to connect with more people, so I am embracing the fact that I have imperfections in my life, and this blog is part of that. In fact, Mondays will be my "Confessional" posts. On the other hand, on Wednesdays I am going to celebrate the things that I don't worry about with "No Worry Wednesday" posts.

Why "The Practical Rabbit"? I love bunny rabbits, eat a mostly raw vegan diet, and practicality is kind of my theme for this blog and life in general. I do a lot of unconventional things because they work when the conventional ways haven't. My philosophy is that if it works, go with it, even it means being a little different- or a lot different.

My husband is kind of the opposite of me. He's more like an Artistic Malamute. In fact, we are starting a photography business together capitalizing on his photographic and digital art skills. And he is a lover of all things canine (especially malamutes). However, the Artistic Malamute also eats a mostly raw vegan diet (actually, it was his idea). And if you cross a Practical Rabbit and an Artistic Malamute, you get a Determined Duckling, our tenacious, duck-loving son. Rounding out the line-up of our family are our two spitz dogs.

So here we go...

2 comments:

  1. I have found blogging to be very therapeutic :) I hope it does the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. =) I've been finding that writing about things has been already.

    ReplyDelete